In partnership with aitutaki island council
Volunteer in the Cook Islands
Combining ethics, culture and adventure in paradise
Volunteer in The Cook Islands on this life changing expedition in partnership with Aitutaki Island Council. Supporting children through education and sports, you will teach in a local school in one of the most extraordinary destinations on earth. Provide basic education and get involved with a variety of activities. Our volunteer expedition in The Cook Islands is a jam-packed adventure of culture, ethics and experience. This expedition is for enthusiastic individuals who want to make a real contribution, meet like-minded people & challenge themselves.
Joining an expedition in Aitutaki, Cook Islands means you will spend half of your days (Mon-Fri) volunteering in a local rural school, aside from making a difference, you’ll have the biggest adventure of your life. From exploring Aitutaki's world famous lagoon to visiting remote islands. We pack a huge amount into this expedition to make sure you get the absolute most from your experience.
- Airport welcome and 24/7 in country support provided by Travel Teacher expedition leaders
- All necessary project equipment and materials
- All necessary project training by experienced staff
- In-country Director, Cook Islands based local experts and UK team providing planning, risk management and 24-hour support
- Travel Teacher T-shirt
- Accredited Qualification - Award in Education and Training
- Comprehensive pre departure information and full induction prior to your experience
- Organised evening Cook Islands Maori activities including traditional island night
- In country welcome meeting and location orientation
- Travel Teacher expedition leaders living with you 24/7.
- Community accommodation in the heart of the village (self catered - optional meal packages available)
- Airport Transfers
- Transportation throughout the duration of your experience
- Country expedition inclusive of fees and transport including uninhibited islands, whale watching and snorkelling trips
- Travel Teacher Awards Celebration
- Travel Teacher Alumni membership
- The opportunity to become a Travel Teacher ambassador
What's not included?
- Personal travel insurance
A Once In a Lifetime Journey
Listen to how Tak Mauvre took a giant leap out of his comfort zone during his experience with Travel Teacher.
Cook Islands Expedition
During your afternoons and weekends you will get to explore your incredible surroundings as we organise guided visits around the island. Aitutaki, also traditionally known as Araura, Ararau and Utataki is one of the Cook Islands North of the Capital Rarotonga. The island has an estimated population of 2,000.
Aitutaki is world famous for its turquoise central lagoon, uninhabited islands and palm fringed beaches. Our Cook Islands expedition will allow you as a volunteer to explore the islands intimacy and be drawn in by its incomparable beauty.
Where will I stay?
Ngapuariki Community accommodation will be your home during your volunteer expedition in Aitutaki, Cook Islands. The accommodation is set at the heart of a local community, yards from the islands shipping port. The facility is self contained and will accommodate a maximum of 25 adults and includes male and female toilets and showers. Volunteers will join us on a self catered basis and will have the option of preparing meals at the facility. The accomodation has full cooking facilities, with an electric stove with oven and grill, electric frying pan, electric toaster, electric jug , pots, pans and all cooking utensils plus cups saucers, plates and cutlery , and a good sized refrigerator. There are local amenities just across the road including a market, a local shop and a food takeaway. There is a large covered verandah overlooking the local community.
The Accommodation provides toilet paper, toilet soap, mosquito coils, matches. The beds are single mattresses and will be set up in the communal hall area of the accommodation. We are confident that you will feel at home, comfortable and relaxed during your stay with our team in the local village.
Flights and Insurance
We are focused on ensuring that our volunteers have access to a high quality support network leading up to and throughout your experience with us. One of the major expenses of any trip abroad is usually the airfare, both in terms of money and energy in order to find the best deal!
Travel Teacher has partnered with STA Travel to provide travel arrangements for volunteers heading to projects around the world. STA Travel are experts in travel and know the best options for getting you to and from your projects and any travel in between. They can help get amazing rates for anyone but also have a special focus on student and youth discounted fares too. Want to find your flights or need some extra advice on things like insurance or putting the whole trip together? Give a specialist consultant a call on 0333 321 3102 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For general information and application enquiries please complete and submit the form below.